Monday, February 2, 2015

Email #32

February 2, 2015
Västerhaninge, Sweden

Losing wallet on trains in Stockholm, Snowball fights, and Spiritual Experiences

This week has been incredible! We have had so many incredible and incredibly funny experiences. Funny experiences are always... funny... so I'm gonna start with that.

Every Thursday night we go play fotboll (soccer) with a bunch of kids who are refugees from countries all over the world. They're mostly from the Middle East and they are the coolest cats around. We have a lot of fun and we bring our investigators to play as well. I haven't been much of a "soccer guy" but I'm starting to discover the "flow" of it all! So Trav Wilky, you should be proud of the bicycle kicks I throw down in the cultural hall while playing Futsal! Haha not yet but we're getting there! Ha! Alright but playing was a blast and we had a couple of less actives and investigators there as well which was great! The refugee boys wait for their big van to come pick them all up so we usually just wait outside. There was a lot of snow on the ground and one of the kids started picking on another kid and threw a bunch of snow at him. I decided to make it a little fun so I threw another snowball at the kid who was first throwing snow. Next thing we know, there's 20 kids, 5 members/less actives/and investigators, and 4 missionaries throwing snowballs everywhere! It was complete madness and so much dang fun. They started busting out snow shovels and throwing shovels of snow everywhere. Pretty funny to see all these boys just having a blast in the snow!

On Monday, Elder Peterson and I went to Stockholm. We got off at Stockholm Central Station and I realized that I didn't have my wallet. I pretty much just panicked and didn't know what to do. My wallet was on a train going north to a city called Kungsängen. We decided to hop back on the train going to Kungsängen. When we got to the station right before Kungsängen I thought we should get off because when the trains get to their destination, they switch back and go down the other direction. The train would leave Kungsängen before we would get there so we got off at the stop before it called Kallhäll. (These names don't mean anything so just roll with it) We got off at Kallhäll, got back on the train going in the opposite direction, and just happened to get back on the exact train we were on before. Long story short, I ended up finding my wallet sitting between the window and the seat. It was sitting in a place that no one would have been able to just look down and see it. It went through 8 stops in Stockholm and honestly that shouldn't have happened. Overall, the Lord definitely watches over his missionaries. That was a pretty big miracle to me.

Last week we got a referral from a member in the ward and we decided to go swing by. He works in a place in Västerhaninge Centrum (town square type thing) so we went and swung by the store that he owns. I was on splits with one of the Zone Leaders, Elder Stinnett, and we ended up teaching a lesson to him right there in his shop. His named is Paulus. He's from Turkey originally but has lived in Sweden for over 40 years so he has really good Swedish. During the lesson he told us that he actually prayed to ask God if the Bible was actually true. That kinda hit me hard because I don't think I have ever done that before. He said he received his answer and he knows the Bible is true now. We had a really great lesson with him.We talked about the Restoration and it ended up going really well. Now he is a progressing investigator. On Saturday, Elder Peterson and I went to see him again to see if we could teach him about The Gospel of Jesus Christ. We sat down and the lesson just wasn't going very well. It was an "alright" lesson. We talked about Faith and Repentance and then we were interrupted by a friend of Paulus' that just decided to swing by as well. His friend's name is Antonio and he is from Italy. He's a pretty old fella. I laughed because when Antonio first walked in he looked at us and said, "Jehovah's Witnesses?" Paulus said, "Nah they're Mormons." Then Antonio said, "Oh, alright... cool." Kinda made me chuckle. But we ended up sitting down with Antonio and Paulus and talked about the Book of Mormon. I said something about Christ coming to visit the people on the American continent and then Elder Peterson just said, "Ya know... how about we read that together. Is that ok?" We pulled out 3 Nephi chapter 11 and read the first 17 verses with them both. I made sure to read them very slowly and be careful while reading them so that the Spirit would be able to testify to them that what we were reading was true. Elder Peterson and I switched off every other verse and it was incredible. I looked over at Antonio and Paulus while Elder Peterson was reading and I could literally see something change in their eyes. Their literal countenance just changed and it was amazing. I knew that they were feeling the Spirit because it was so strong. After we read it all we just looked at them for a few seconds and then testified of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon. It was one of the most powerful experiences I have had on my mission so far. Try to read through those first 17 verses of chapter 11 in 3 Nephi because they are amazing. Missionary work is incredible. The Church is true. I love you all! Hope you have a great week!

Strength and Honor
Elder Caleb Hendrik Featherstone

We ran into Rolando at Västerhaninge Station. I'll tell you all about it later. SUPER COOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment