Monday, February 16, 2015

Email #34

February 16, 2015
Vasterhaninge, Sweden

Dear Family,

This week has been wonderful. I have had some of the best weeks here with my companion Elder Peterson and we have had a blast working hard and doing our best to bring those precious souls back home. Earlier in the week I got a call from President telling me that he needed me to train a new missionary. I am so excited to be able to take all that I have learned these past eight months and try to help him become the best missionary he can be and more importantly the missionary that the Lord needs him to be. It's gonna be a ride that I am so excited for. We have had so much success here in Västerhaninge and I honestly have been blessed so much. It has been incredible.

The other day I read over a scripture again that has shaped my mission. It has helped me and I hold this scripture close because it has helped so much as well. I know that I have talked about it before but just knowing that the Lord is with us in all that we do means a lot. In D&C 84:88 it says, "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." This week I have thought a lot about the significance of the message that we have for the world. The center is the Lord Jesus Christ.

Dad wrote me a email a while back and shared a poem that Grandpa Featherstone has used and loved throughout the years. It's called “The Torch Bearer.”

The God of the High Endeavor
Gave me a torch to bear.
I lifted it high above me
In the dark and murky air;

And straightway with loud hosannas
The crowd proclaimed its light
And followed me as I carried my torch
Through the starless night,

Till drunk with people’s praises
And mad with vanity
I forgot ’twas the torch they followed
And fancied they followed me.

Then slowly my arm grew weary
Upholding the shining load
And my tired feet went stumbling
Over the dusty road.

I fell with the torch beneath me.
In a moment the light was out.
When lo! from the throng a stripling
Sprang forth with a mighty shout,

Caught up the torch as it smoldered,
And lifted it high again,
Till fanned by the winds of heaven,
It fired the souls of men.

And as I lay in the darkness
The feet of the trampling crowd
Passed over and far beyond me,
Its paeans proclaimed around,

And I learned in the deepening twilight
This glorious verity,
‘Tis the torch that the people follow,
Whoever the bearer may be.

Christ is the torch that we bear.The message we have for the world is all about Him. He is the center and I know that when we have those opportunities to share our testimonies then the Lord is right there next to us cheering us on. Every time I look up and I see someone walking to us there is a little thought in the back of my head saying, "Don't talk to them. There's no point" I try to remember what Christ said. "And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up." He is always there and it has been such an incredible opportunity to wear his name over my heart every day. I love Sweden. I love this gospel. I love my Savior and I know that he is the torch. I know that if we hold it high then we will be blessed. 

I love you all and I hope you have a wonderful week!

Strength and Honor
Elder Caleb Hendrik Featherstone

Fun on the train

Balling

The temple on Sunday

No comments:

Post a Comment