Friday, May 8, 2015

Email #45

May 4, 2015                     
Vasterhaninge, Sweden

Family!

Wow! This week was just top notch! We had Stake Conference in the Stockholm South Stake this past weekend and it was amazing! I was asked to play the piano in the Stake Leadership Meeting and I ended up playing "Praise to the Man." I have had so many opportunities to play the piano here! It's been so great! SO... anyone who is thinking about quitting piano lessons, DON'T DO IT! Piano is the coolest! So keep it up!

Also, we had a Swedish Holiday called "Valborg" this week. Valborg is kind of a funny holiday. The Swedes gather a bunch of wood, sticks, and who knows what, and throw it in a huge pile. The Valborg mound was massive! It looked like the "Beacons of Minas Tirith" that Merry lit in the Lord of the Rings. "The beacons are lit!" Ha! But they throw all of this into a pile and then light it on fire. It's pretty much just a big bon-fire party together. All of the missionaries in the Stockholm area came down to Västerhaninge to see them light it. President and Sister Beckstrand were there as well. We had a pretty fun time! While we were there, the elders were throwing the Nerf football that I got from the family for Christmas. We ended up playing a game of 4 vs 4 and it was a ton of fun! I started laughing because all of the Swedes were looking at us like, "What is that thing they're throwing back and forth to each other?" We had a couple of guys from the ward that came and played with us. We had a lot of fun!

I had a really neat experience with Elder Burton on Friday night. We saw these two teenagers on our way back to the apartment and we decided to stop and talk to them. I told them that we were missionaries with Jesu Krisi Kyrka av Sista Dagars Heliga and we were talking about The Restored Gospel of Jesus Christ. We asked them if either of them believed in God and both of them said that God doesn't exist. I asked them how they came to that conclusion and neither of them really had an answer. We then talked to them about prayer and that God is our Heavenly Father that we can pray to him. I asked them if they had ever tried praying before and one of the kids said, "I only pray when I need something." I thought that was interesting and then said, "Wait, I thought you said you didn't believe in God." He went on to explain and we ended up having a great lesson with them right there on the street and we talked about the Book of Mormon and how we can find out if there is a God if we read it. The other kid said he was Atheist and that he had never prayed but that he didn't believe there was a God. We told him that there was a God and that he could find out if he prayed. By the end of the conversation he said, "Alright, I'll take your book and I'll pray." We walked away and I was so amazed that a person could go from absolutely believing that there isn't a God, to saying "alright" and that he was going to go pray to find out for himself. Both Elder Burton and I testified that there really is a God and that He loves them and wants to hear from them. It was an amazing experience. We have such an amazing knowledge of the Restoration, of prayer, of our Heavenly Father. I am so grateful that I have the opportunity to talk to my Heavenly Father multiple times through the day. I know He really can bless us if we involve him in the things we do every day. "Yea, and cry unto God for all thy support; yea, let all thy doings be unto the Lord, and whithersoever thou goest let it be in the Lord; yea, let all thy thoughts be directed unto the Lord; yea, let the affections of thy heart be placed upon the Lord forever. Counsel with the Lord in all thy doings, and he will direct thee for good; yea, when thou liest down at night lie down unto the Lord, that he may watch over you in your sleep; and when thou risest in the morning let thy heart be full of thanks unto God; and if ye do these things, ye shall be lifted up at the last day."

I love you all and hope you have a great week!

Strength and Honor
Elder Caleb Hendrik Featherstone
Played soccer with these guys last P-day. 

Valborg with all the missionaries.
My "cousin" Elder Clawson. S/O to the Joe Feathies.

No comments:

Post a Comment