Monday, June 1, 2015

Email #49

Family! Hey hey howdy hey!!

This week was a good one! Skellefteå is honestly the coolest place ever. It's kind of a weird city though. I told Mom this already BUT... Skellefteå reminds me a lot of Salt Lake City and of the small town-big town feel. It gets really green here as well and sometimes I feel like I'm biking around Redondo Beach, CA. Speaking of Redondo Beach... this week S/O is going out to the Paul and Mer Feathy crew, Trav and Chels, and Bishop Parker and my wonderful Aunt Dianne. I love you all! Keep up the good work down there guys!

OK... where were we... oh yeah! Skellefteå! The funny thing about Norrland (The North land) is that the sun never goes down during the summer. The sun is technically "down" for 4 hours but honestly it looks like it's 5PM at 2AM. Kinda crazy! I'm not really used to this type of stuff down in Stockholm but Skellefteå is the place to be right now!

A couple months ago, I was walking down the streets of Västerhaninge with my companion Elder Burton. It was about 10AM, all the grass had been cut a few hours earlier, and there was that nice "freshly cut grass" smell, if you know what I mean. WELL... I turned to Elder Burton and said, "Man, I never thought I'd say this... but I actually do miss mowing the lawn. Like, I miss that feeling you after you mow the law, look around, and say, "Yup, I did that."" I just laughed it off and didn't really think much of it. I show up to Skellefteå and guess what? We get to mow the lawn at the church EVERY WEEK! I guess I spoke too soon. Ha! Nah... we mowed the lawn on Saturday and it actually went really well! That S/O goes to Dad for showing me ropes on mowing the lawn!

Yesterday, we had fast and testimony meeting at church. There were a total of 7 people in church. I was thinking about testimony meeting earlier in the day and thought, "Is everyone going to bear their testimony?" Every single person got up to the pulpit and bore testimony of the Savior and the Holy Ghost was so strong. It was incredible. There is such a closeness and a love in the branch here in Skellefteå. I am so grateful for the opportunity I have to serve here. It has been such an amazing experience and excited to see what happens during my time with these people.

Earlier in the week, we had set up a teaching appointment with a recent convert named Miguel. He's originally from Mexico but he moved here to Sweden and joined the church about a year ago. Miguel can speak fluent English and Spanish but will only speak Swedish with the missionaries because he's trying to learn it as fast as possible. Anyway, we sat down, started talking, and we asked Miguel to share his conversion story with us. I loved what he said! "Jag känner som jag kan tjäna Kristus här." (I feel like I can serve Christ here.) I thought it was the neatest thing! That's really what the Gospel is all about- serving Christ. Recently, I have been thinking a lot about this. I am out in Sweden to "serve Christ." Every day Elder Hansen and I go out, I try to remember that I am showing my love for Christ by going out and giving it my all and I know that he will bless me in return. I really do know that if we serve Christ by serving the people that we meet every day that we will be blessed more than we know.

I love you all so much. You're the best! You're the the bee's-knees, the cat's pajamas, the Great-Bambino! BABE RUTH! "You mean it's the same guy???" Alright you're all not actually Babe Ruth... that's kinda just where I felt that sentence going. But you're just as cool! Ha! The Sandlot is a good movie. ANYWAY... hope you all have a great week! Go crush it everyone!! Love you all!


Strength and Honor
Elder Caleb Hendrik Featherstone

The Church in Skellefteå
Woke up at 2AM and took a picture of the "Norrland Sun."

Elder Hansen and I on the way to a lesson.


No comments:

Post a Comment