Monday, June 22, 2015

Email #52


June 22, 2015
Skellefteå, Sweden


My dear family!


How are you all doing? It sounds like you are all doing so well and that you had a great week! I guess a great couple of weeks for Noah and Dad! Whew... I bet that Colorado river was an absolute BLAST!! Sounds like you both had a ton of fun on the river. I remember being on the Grand Trip a couple years ago and it really was GRAND!


This week has been grand as well! We have been doing a lot of finding lately and it has been going really well. The past little while I have been focusing on a scripture from the Book of Mormon. It's Alma 31:34-35. It says, "O Lord, wilt thou grant unto us that we may have success in bringing them again unto thee in Christ. Behold, O Lord, their souls are precious, and many of them are our brethren; therefore, give unto us, O Lord, power and wisdom that we may bring these, our brethren, again unto thee." That is what we are doing out here. Sometimes I think about the negative parts of the work and I miss what it's really all about. Finding can be hard sometimes but the attitude is what makes the difference! These "souls are precious" to the Savior and we are bringing "these, our brethren, again unto" him. As I have tried to focus on that I have felt so much more joy and love towards these people. They really are "our brethren" and it has been such a wonderful experience to work here with them. It doesn't matter what their response is. Whether it's positive or not-so-positive, they're still the Lord's children and I have been trying so hard to remember that.


I have been able to dive into the scriptures this week. These past two months have been super neat with personal study. I don't think I have ever "likened" the scriptures to myself as much as I have done here in Skellefteå. The scriptures really do come alive when we really study, seek, search, and knock. It has been amazing to see what I have learned. I didn't really know how much of a difference it makes in scripture study if you actually STUDY. I was able to finish the New Testament this week and now I have been reading a lot of D&C. One night after nightly planning, I decided to read more of D&C. The next section was going to be section 4 and it is famous for its "missionary focus." I looked up all of the references and footnotes of section 4 and I was able to look at it in an entirely different perspective. Something that I thought was so neat was the first verse. "Now behold, a marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men." In section 6 the first verse says, "A great and marvelous work is about to come forth unto the children of men." The first verse in section 11 says, "A great and marvelous work is about to come forth among the children of men." It says the same thing in section 12 and 14 as well. I was a little confused why the Lord would repeat it so many times so I got thinking. I decided to look up the word "marvelous" in the dictionary. It says, "Marvelous: causing great wonder; extraordinary; extremely good or pleasing." This is something to get excited about!! Like, you know those cheerleaders that are down on the court at a basketball game holding up those signs that say, "Get loud!" "Get pumped!" "Get excited!" That is what we’ve got to be like! This work really is something to be excited for. So get loud! Get pumped! Get excited! This work really is marvelous! This is the Lord's work. It's His. And it's something that I have gotten excited for. I'm pumped. I'm ready. In D&C section 6 the Lord tell us that he wants us to  "assist to bring forth my work." I can't even describe in words how much this mission has meant to me. It has been so amazing and the Lord has blessed me beyond that which I am worthy for. I have never been happier than right here in Sweden. The gospel truly is joy! The Prophet Joseph Smith said it best, "Brethren, shall we not go on in so great a cause?"


Jag älskar er så otroligt mycket! Var och en av er! Kämpa på!

Strength and Honor            
Elder Caleb Hendrik Featherstone
This week we had a huge holiday in Sweden called "Midsommar." We were with the Luleå missionaries in a city called Haparanda for it.



My district these past 6 weeks here in Norrland

No comments:

Post a Comment