Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Email #56

July 20, 2015
Skelleftea, Sweden

Flooding Skellefteå with the Book of Mormon!


Yup... that is what we have been doing this week! Honestly, we had a really great week up here in Skellefteå. I explained a little last week but President Beckstrand has put a huge emphasis on using the Book of Mormon as much as possible so that is what we have been doing. We have handed out so many copies of the Book of Mormon! It's SWEET! We usually just say, "Hey have you seen this book before? Oh.. you haven't? No way?! It's super cool and there are actually some pictures in the first couple pages that explain a little about what it isssss......... BAM! BOOK OF MORMON! BAM! RESTORATION! BAM! TAKE THE BOOK! BAM! FLOODING SKELLEFTEÅ WITH THE BOOK OF MORMON! GIDDY UP!! Haha Elder Purkey and I have been having a lot of fun and we have been seeing so much success! It's been so neat!


Ok... so this isn’t just some book people can read for fun.  Why are we really doing this?" Because the Book of Mormon is "the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” A while back, Elder Nelson explained it like this, "Do you want to get rid of a bad habit? Do you want to improve relationships in your family? Do you want to increase your spiritual capacity? Read the Book of Mormon! It will bring you closer to the Lord and His loving power."  George Cannon said, "No wicked man could write such a book as this; and no good man would write it, unless it were true and he were commanded of God to do so.”


I want every person that is reading this right now to know that I know that the Book of Mormon is true! It's true! And we can truly feel the love of the Savior through the Book of Mormon. Christ's church is back! And it is thanks to the Book of Mormon that the fulness is on the earth again. In Preach My Gospel it says, "Those who know little or nothing about the Savior will come to know Him by reading, pondering, and praying about the Book of Mormon." What a blessing that the Lord has given us! I love the Book of Mormon! I love the Savior! And I know that we can know the Savior better through living the precepts taught in that book. If you haven't read it, read it. If you have, read it again.


Well... just thought I'd share a quick experience that I had in church. Elder Purkey and I were in charge of the Sunday School lesson yesterday. President Solbakk turned the time over to us, we took some chairs, sat down in from of the members in the branch, and I said, "How is everyone doing? Ulla, how are you?" She said she was at church so she was doing great! "President and Syster Solbakk, how are you both doing?" They said that were both doing well. I looked over the last member that was there and she had her head down. She looked a little sad and as if she was saying a quick prayer to Heavenly Father. I said, "Syster, how are you doing?" She looked up and said, "I'm a little disappointed." I asked her why she was disappointed. She went on to explain that she had some non-member friends that were staying with her, she tried to give them a Book of Mormon, and they declined. She told us  "I wish I would have done it some other way and maybe then they would have accepted." A discussion started up and we ended up talking about how we can be better missionaries. I shared a couple of experiences that I have had during the last 12 months in Sweden and we ended up taking the entire block of Sunday School. We didn't even scratch the surface of the lesson but instead, Elder Purkey and I taught about what the members needed right then. They all added thoughts and insights and it was a wonderful lesson we had together. We ended up talking about faith with each other. I told this member that felt discouraged, that if she is trying to do her best, trying to follow the commandments, and she has the spirit with her, it is impossible to say something wrong when someone is trying to share the gospel. If that person is prepared to share the gospel then they are going accept the message you have whether you say something wrong or right. The other thing I shared was about "the Lord's way." Sometimes we pray for the faith or the strength to do something. Yes, the Lord can help us with that but that isn't the Lord's way. The Lord's way is actually exactly opposite. The Lord's way is for us to act in faith, THEN comes the power and the faith to do it. "...for ye receive no witness until after the trial of your faith." (Ether 12:6) I have seen that so many times on my mission. When I act in faith, then the Lord strengthens me or gives me the strength that I need to keep going or do something more. It's scary to walk up to some random person and say, "Hey... I want to talk to you about this book!" I'm scared every day! But I know that when I open my mouth first, then the Lord will bless me to keep pushing. We were able to have a really amazing lesson together and I was able to learn a lot.


I love you all and hope you have a great week! Th-th-that's all folks!


Strength and Honor

Elder Caleb Hendrik Featherstone

No comments:

Post a Comment