Monday, September 7, 2015

Email #63

September 7, 2015
Umeå, Sweden


I gatt.... two tickets to.... PARADIIIIISSEE!!!!


Ahhh.... Eddy Money. What a guy! I'm probably too young to even know who Eddy Money is though. Haha props to Dad Dad Daddio for showing us the ropes on the 70's and 80's.


ANYWAY...


Speaking of Paradise... yup... our boy Eddy has GOT to be talkin' about Umeå. We have been having a ton of fun, a ton of success, and the Lord has blessed us so much here. A couple days ago Elder Kapp and I were doing a little planning "stund." (10 points for anyone who remembers that word from last week.) We had FILLED our entire week with lessons and we had about a hour and a half that we had open for a lesson. We started calling and nobody could meet then. SO... we had to say... "Uh... ok... well... if you can't meet at this time thennn... we're gonna have to call you back next week and set something up." Absolutely ridiculous!! We're just going a thousand miles an hour right now. I'm loving it though. Umeå is the place to be right now! And it's all good in the neighborhood.


I know I've talked about playing basketball a lot lately but for some reason we have been getting a ton of opportunities to just contact people by playing a game or two with them. One day, our lesson fell through and we just needed to contact some people. We drove to "the gold-mine" known as Ålidhem and started to contact people. Ålidhem is like the center of all the university life and there are SO many people you can find there. It's pretty funny because it's like a 50% chance of getting a phone-number which is UNHEARD OF. Alright... back to the story. We were contacting people and all of the sudden Elder Kapp says... "Elder Featherstone... you want to go contact those guys playing ball." I looked over and saw a ton of guys just balling it up. It's probably the first time I had ever seen anything like that in Sweden. I started tearing up because it was actually a game of five on five. What a sight... whaaatt a sight. SO... what do I do? Go talk to them. We stand there for a couple minutes with our white shirts and ties and start scouting them out. I was actually really impressed. Long story short... after the game, I walked over and said, "Hey... is it cool if we hop in for a game? We come from the U.S. and we love to play ball." They started going off in Swedish and some kid was like, "De kan inte spela! De är i kostymer!" Which means... "They can't play!! They're wearing suits!!" They didn't think we could speak Swedish so I said... "Nah... we can play! We'll take you guys in this!!" *in Swedish* I laughed because everyone was so surprised we could speak Swedish and then they were like... alright sure. By the end of the two games we played they tossed the ball to me and would say, "Alright... go to work! GO TO WORK!" I started laughing pretty hard. It was a ton of fun though. Came away with smiles on our faces, American pride in our hearts, and a pair of blown out pants. Haha we came out on top though so that was good. We're going to be teaching some of them soon. It'll be super good.


Earlier this week, we flew down to Stockholm for a Zone Conference. It was the first Zone Conference of my mission so far that I haven't even touched a piano key. Haha sooo.... Noah... keep on practicing my boy. You're gonna use it! A LOT! Anyway... we talked about Preach My Gospel, where it came from, and how we can use it more in our work. I LOVE Preach My Gospel. It's the coolest thing other than hearing that my Cougs pulled it out again against Nebraska. Alright... PMG is cooler... but I still was pumped to hear that they won. I heard Utah won too so that's good! Annie is probably a happy camper right now. Anyway... we had a huge conference about how we can use PMG more in our missionary work and it has helped so much. That thing isn't just for missionaries though so pick it up and get studying! The Lord is waiting to bless you for it! Preach My Gospel has honestly helped me so much! This week I was reading about King Benjamin and his "How to Begin Teaching" in Mosiah 2:9-11... I think. PMG 10.


Haha something funny happened the other night... Elder Kapp and I were planning and he just said, "You know what? I can't wait to be a home teacher back home. It's like missionary work... but easy." We both started laughing pretty hard. For anyone who is wondering back home... YES... home teaching works! Keep it up!


ALSO... we were able to get in contact with three of our investigators that completely dropped off the map. So that's BIG! We're hoping to set up some baptismal dates with them soon so that'll be sweet!!


We'll find out what's going on with transfers later this week which will be crazy! I feel like I've been here in Umeå with Elder Kapp for like a week. It's been a month and a half! Insane! We're pretty sure that Kapp is leaving so we'll see who joins the party in the north!!


Alright I hope you all have a great week! Keep up the good work people! Puss o kram! Love you all!


Strength and Honor       Elder Caleb Hendrik Featherstone


Elder Burton, Syster Poulson, and I. All part of the Västerhaninge crew.

Back in Norrland baby!


Service selfie with mah boy Elder Nelson

Sittin' on that plane to Stockholm



1 comment: