Monday, January 11, 2016

Email #80

January 11, 2016
Göteborg, Sweden


FAMILY!!


This week has been a super solid one! I haven’t written a super solid email for a long time because we've been so busy here so that's my bad! I'll be better I promise! SO... we have a lot to cover. You ready?? GO!


First of all, I just thought I'd update you all on the things that happened last p-day. We had some things happen in the mission, mostly here in Utby, and an elder flew back to the U.S. He wasn't doing very well so he was sent back to the states and now Elder Albertsen and I are in a tri-panionship with Elder Bailey! Elder Bailey is a total stud and we've had a lot of fun over the past week or so. I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my entire life. We're going to be together for another week until transfers next Wednesday. We'll find out what is happening this Friday so we'll see what happens.


OH... alright... so I have to tell you all this super fast. Yesterday morning, I was talking to two older members here in the Utby ward. I was just checking up on them and then then one of them turned to the other and said, "You know what? You know who he looks like? Jimmy Stewart!" I busted up laughing and said, "What? No way? For real?" Then.... get this... we were at Kirk's (the American member. He's from Holladay, Utah) house last night eating American pancakes for dinner and Mama Cammans turned to me randomly and said "You know what? You look like Jimmy Stewart." I looked at Elder Bailey and said, "No way! Did you hear what she just said?" And we busted laughing. "You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down."


On Wednesday, we had a super good day. Elder Bailey, Albertsen, and I drove over to Skövde to go on "work-overs" with Elder Murri (the one I was in Umeå with). Skövde is kind of known as a hard area in the mission and the elders there were having a super tough time together. SO... we decided we'd go down for a day and help them out with some work, try to lift their spirits, and get them stoked to go out and baptize the WORLD! We had a super solid day working with them. We had been pretty worried about them throughout the entire transfer so we wanted to help them and hopefully set the course for the rest of the transfer and possibly even next transfer. Later in the week, I called Elder Murri to talk about the day we were there and how he was doing with his companion. He was struggling when we got there and when we got on the phone a few days later he said, "Elder Featherstone, thank you for coming to Skövde and doing work-overs. It helped a lot and my companion and I are doing great! I would be totally on-board for another transfer with this elder in Skövde." I was so pumped and proud of them. They're doing great and it was so neat to see the change.


The next day, I went on splits with Elder Bliss!  Elder Bliss is a super good friend in the mission and we were companions for a week while I was training Elder Burton in Västerhaninge. We were in a tri-pan for just a week and it was a RIOT! Anywho... all we did is contact all day and it was STELLAR! We had a great time, worked hard, and it was a super solid stund together.


I'm going to jump back a little bit now. A couple weeks ago, I was with Elder Albertsen in an area called "Studiegången." We were contacting people down a street and when we got to the end of an apartment building I saw a man walking up some stairs about 30 feet in front of me. When I got closer, he was at the top of the stairs outside but I said, "Hey! Excuse me! My friend and I are the missionaries with the Church of Jesus Christ and we're sharing a special message about Jesus Christ." Ernest walked down and we started talking. We just stood at the bottom of the stairs and ended up teaching him about the Restoration and the Book of Mormon. He said, "Hmmm... I've never heard of this before. This is all pretty new." I told him that we teach people more about this church and the message in this book and asked him if we could come by and teach his family sometime. Ernrest said that would be totally fine and that he'd even try to come to church! We went by a few days later and ended up teaching his entire family. We walked into their house and they were very humble circumstances. Ernest and his wife moved to Sweden from Rwanda and the night we met Ernest he said, "We only have three chairs so we can buy another one so you don't have to sit on the floor." I looked at him, put my hand on his shoulder, just thought, "God Bless you dear Ernest." It was a pretty neat experience. We are now teaching Ernest and his family and are hopefully going to get them a baptismal date this Thursday.


Earlier this week, we were driving home and I started thinking. We hadn't eaten dinner yet so I was pretty hungry, but I felt like we needed to go do a quick contacting stund in Partille. I said, "Hey, Elder Albertsen, I feel like we need to go contact for a couple minutes. Is that alright?" We turned the car around, drove to Partille, and hopped out of the car. I looked up and there were a couple of teenagers that were just about to walk by. I closed the door, said, "hey!" and walked over to them. We talked for a couple minutes and it turned out that all four of them would like to meet and talk more about the message we have. We got their numbers, said bye, and walked away to contact more people but it was a neat experience that I was able to listen to a small, little prompting, and we were able to teach a lesson to them.


We have also been teaching a woman named Jenny. She's married to a less-active member in the ward named Fredrik. Jenny has always been pretty hesitant when it comes to missionaries but as we've been teaching her, she was able to open up and now she has a baptismal date. We've been working to re-activate Fredrik and we had a miracle take place yesterday. Fredrik blessed their daughter in sacrament meeting. Fredrik is now active and Jenny will be baptized on the 27 of February. Such a blessing and it's been so amazing to teach them both. They're goal is the temple so that will be an amazing day.


Here in Göteborg it finally snowed! We have been having so much success and the zone is doing so much better! I'm super proud of them!


Overall, Elder Featherstone is a happy camper. Everything is going well here in Göteborg and I'm glad I'm here.


This week we read a talk together as a zone. It's called "This Day" by President Eyring. "By serving Him this day, you will come to know Him better. You will feel His love and appreciation. You would not want to delay receiving that blessing. And feeling His love will draw you back to His service, wiping away both complacency and discouragement.


As you serve Him, you will come to know better the voice by which you shall be called. When you go to sleep at the end of a day, the words may come back in memory: “Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things." I pray for that benediction on this day, on every day, and on our lives." Let's serve him "this day."


I already told Dad this, but at the beginning of my mission I wrote note down in my Preach My Gospel. It says, "Give a five dollar job for two years." That has especially been my focus for these final months. A couple weeks ago when President and I had our little chat before zone conference, he asked me where I would like to serve to close out my mission and he asked me to think about it. I've been thinking a lot about if I want to see southern Sweden (which I haven't before), be with good member friends and missionaries in Stockholm, or go back to an isolated area, serve the Lord, and do a five dollar job. I've asked the Lord and I feel like it's up to me but I've decided that I want to go to a hard area, give it my all, and serve the Lord "this day."


I love you all and I hope you have a KILLER week! Make it hap'n capt'n!


Strength and Honor

Elder Caleb Hendrik Featherstone
GÖTTMÅS!

Swedes and their black licorice...

Finally got snow in Göteborg!! The beginning of the tri-pan

Göteborg University

Tri-pan elevator selfie... haha
Splits with Elder Bliss... STUD!

Kirk and Mamma Cammans! Love these people!

The first sign of snow in Skövde

Distrikt selfie with the Utby-Alingsås-Trollhättan district

        Elder Bailey and I in Göteborg


A super funny contact with Elder Bliss. This guy would not break eye-contact. haha so Elder Bliss took a picture.

Celebrating Elder Bailey's year mark 

City pics of Göteborg

No comments:

Post a Comment